Which 55+ Community is Right for Your Needs?
In this guide, we break down the advantages and disadvantages to living in two of the most popular active adult communities in South Carolina. We’ll cover:
- The pros and cons of living in Sun City Hilton Head
- The pros and cons of living in Savannah Lakes Village
- Which active adult community is right for you?
South Carolina isn’t just a popular vacation destination. For many Americans who are 55+, the Lowcountry is an excellent place to spend their golden years of retirement. With plenty of active adult communities to choose from, finding the right community for your needs requires careful consideration of the pros and cons.
To help make the decision-making process easier, we compare two of the most popular communities in South Carolina: Sun City Hilton Head and Savannah Lakes Village. By the end of this article, you’ll have a better idea of which community is the right choice for you!
Pros & Cons of Sun City Hilton Head
Sun City Hilton Head currently holds the title as the largest active adult community in the Lowcountry. Situated on more than 5,700 acres, the community is home to many modern amenities accompanying its beautiful vistas. Before you decide to call this community home, consider the following:
- Recreation: Adventure-seekers will rejoice in all the outdoor recreation that Sun City Hilton Head has to offer. Boasting 7.5 miles of walking trails, three state-of-the-art fitness centers, six swimming pools, and 320 acres of golf courses, there’s something to do for everyone.
- Amenities: Sun City Hilton Head is home to 36 common area buildings totaling 180,000 square feet of space. Additionally, residents have access to a performing arts center, crafts center, woodshop, sport park and softball field, pickleball courts, tennis courts, and bocce courts.
- Organizations: Socialization is a big part of the Sun City Hilton Head experience. Within the community, there are 73 chartered clubs and 46 registered community groups for residents to join.
- Vacationers: A popular vacation destination, Hilton Head Island can get quite busy during the summer season. This may be problematic for those seeking a more tranquil living environment.
- Flooding: Because it is located on an island, Sun City Hilton Head is particularly prone to flooding — especially during the hurricane season.
- Nightlife: If city living is what you’re after, you won’t find it at Sun City Hilton Head. The nearest major city (Savannah, GA) is a 45-minute drive while Charleston, SC is a daunting 90 minutes away.
Pros & Cons of Savannah Lakes Village
A beautiful lakefront community situated on more than 4,300 acres, building a home in Savannah Lakes Village is an excellent choice in your retirement years. Located near Lake Thurmond, this active community has its fair share of advantages and disadvantages, including:
- Recreation: Whether you’re a hiker, hunter, boater, golfer, tennis player, or pickleball fanatic, Savannah Lakes Village offers plenty of outdoor recreation options for every enthusiast.
- Amenities: Featuring three on-site, full-service restaurants in the private clubhouse, the community offers plenty of dining options and community gathering space for residents.
- Property: Unlike at Sun City Hilton Head, Savannah Lakes Village residents have the option to purchase a plot of land and build their own custom homes rather than selecting a pre-built model that may not fit their needs.
- Fees: Access to amenities at Savannah Lakes Village is not all-inclusive, meaning residents will be charged fees according to the amenities they use.
- Mail: Depending on where you live in the community, a postal delivery rule dating back to 2012 may prevent you from having mail delivered to your home.
- Wildlife: Surrounded by 60,000 acres of protected forests, Savannah Lakes Village might not be an ideal location for those who prefer to be closer to city living.
Which Community is Best for You?
Selecting the community that’s best for you is largely based on personal preference. In terms of outdoor recreation, both Savannah Lakes Village and Sun City Hilton Head have plenty to offer. But if you’re seeking a more customized living experience with the opportunity to own property, Savannah Lakes Village is the clear winner.
If you’re looking to build a custom home in the Savannah Lakes Village community, Lee Builders can help. We are proud to be the premier home builder responsible for crafting many residences throughout the community. Allow us to help construct your dream home to make your retirement years the best they can be. Contact us to get started with a consultation today!